Tuesday, July 22, 2008

What a day!!!!!!!

Here is Daisy checking things out
Here is Ginger resting her head on the gate, watching Chad unload hay!


So today was quite an adventure!! Started out fairly normally...got up fed animals, milked Lily. Then I headed to the bank and on to Waller to pick up Ginger and Daisy. While in Waller, I met a bunch of great people and saw some gorgeous goats! I met Lily's new boyfriend (the one she will be bred to in September or October) Then came home, got the goats settled in...or so I thought until I turn around and Daisy was following me outside the pen!! WHAT...I didn't take in to consideration her age would mean small size! She is the same size as Lily and could get out of the pen for her and Ginger, so I had to put her in Lily's pen to fix the other so she would stay put. While fixing things I noticed one of the neighbor's young goats on our property...apparently I wasn't the only one...My landlord's Chocolate Lab noticed her too. He is an attempted goat killer (he tried to drown one goat already-same neighbor!!) He ran her toward her fence, she tried to jump, but didn't make it. He caught hold of her and she go away. She made her way to the pond, I knew what was coming. I was running as fast as my out of shape butt could go, but it still seemed like they were miles away. She ran off into the pond and so did he and the landlord's Black Lab (she was just following). I pulled my phone and credit card out of my pocket and tossed them up on the banks and went in after them. I swam out toward the goat and the dog (while the other dog is trying to swim ON me...I swat her off and she swims away to get a stick I threw in while running to try to get their attention) The whole time I am watching the other dog bite at her head, pushing her head under with each attempt to bite. I finally reach her and as I am reaching to grab her I feel his face on me (he didn't bite me, his jaw ran across my arm...we were both reaching for the doe) I get her and swim back to the shore. Which isn't far, but with boots on (next time those will come off) she and I were not making it very quickly. It felt like we were swimming in place. I get her out of the water and let her rest a little so I can rest a little! All the while swatting the dogs away. I like the dogs, but had I had a gun I might have shot the chocolate lab (and regretted it, but not in the moment) Finally I feel like I have a little energy and get up, she is NOT going to walk with the dogs nearby so I pick her up and carry back to the barn to get the landlord to call the neighbor to tell her. (forgot my phone and card on the bank) We finally get her situated where she needs to go. This is the 2nd time she has been over here. If she ends up here a third time I might have to keep her. She is a really pretty reddish with white Nubian.

Here is Ginger watching the Black Lab (not the wannabe goat killer) after the incident!!

No comments: